Formula 1 day 1 2013

Photos are up!! Totally unedited so please don't hate on the non-color correction, after all it is an F1 weekend and I do not want to sit in front of a screen this year.


Formula 1: Austin TEHAS

Hello, Hello, Hello!

Once again I'll be in Austin this year jumping out of my seat and yelling at the automobiles screaming down the track for the race this year. If you are local, or a temporary local from abroad, shoot me a message!

Also I'll be posting photos from the race at day's end again so be sure to check www.flickr.com/crazyoctopus for updates and shots from turn 15!

'til next time


I drove it home!


I have been having too much fun fiddling with the car to post anything about it, but hey... better fiddling with the Z than just fiddling with my thumbs...

Last Friday Martin and I made our way down to Yoshifab to pick up the car, and bring her home.

Her first meal with her new heart & brain implant (american lard of 91 octane)

First Meal

Her first real drive on the street

(applers click here)

Look at her pretty tuckus...

Home again, home again

After some adjustment of parts and tightening of some bolts 'n bolts, I was able to get her to idle at a decent RPM.

(I really need to figure out how to integrate flickr to work with iPhones...)

This however was a small victory, there was another issue with the, I think, IAC and it is causing her to have a higher than normal idle when warm. It is either that or I need to adjust the TPS, or there is a slight vacuum leak, or maybe my dizzy... I really have no idea at this point. For now I am idling at 1100RPM and I would like it to be 750-900.

Hopefully Josh will have an answer when I stop by on Friday to patch up an exhaust leak, if not then I'll deal with it after I solve the short that I have in the running lights circuit.

'till next time.

ps. I also strapped on the front lip (FINALLY) and man oh man SEX FACE MCGEE


World First Volvo powered 240z*

*Google massive keyword attack and search, but if you can prove me wrong PLEASE let me know.

Well kidos, it has been two years since I threw sheets to the wind and decided that it would be a good idea to try to put a motor in a car that hadn't been done before. Sure there was quite a bit of frustration, hiccups, vodka, racked knuckles, & dust collecting, but there has not been a single project that I have ever been involved in that put this large of a smile of my face. HONESTY STRIKEOUT, I teared up on the drive back home from the shake down drive yesterday.

So without further ado here is the first drive of my 1972 Datsun 240z powered by a volvo b230 8v block with a 16v head, bolted to a Ford T5 transmission, snailed by a 19t turbo.


[The hesitation that you hear from the engine was due to both the ECU learning as well as running too little fuel and having the engine stave. It smoothed out shortly after 5 gallons of fuel was put in]



::side note... doughnuts are now known as doritos::


Next post will be of, hopefully, some in car videos of the drive home.

Please take note of the hilariously long shifter lever in the "first pass" video. The T-5 transmission sits much farther forward than the stock F4W 4-speed, so until I design and build a shifter relocation mechanism I will be sticking to a tube, welded to a plate, bolted to the tranny. I will say that I totally dig the boro dildo shift knob. I mean really, it is far too smile inducing for me to replace it soon.


This morning I drove back to Yoshifab to make sure that the chassis wiring that I did two years ago still works. This way when I drive it home I will have working brake lights. The first step was to figure out which switches I actually need. Fantastically the team at yoshifab cut down the amount of switches that I need by nearly half: eFan is now controlled via a temp switch (volvo stock part), fuel pumps & IGN are kicked on with the kill key (instead of two switches).

When all was said and done I was left with only 3 switches: running/dash lights, high/low beam, & reverse lights. There was a hiccup with the brake lights, but after some troubleshooting I found out that the brake switch itself was sticking so I stole some lube and now it works fantastically. I had to leave before I tied up all the loose ends - Dad's B-day - but all that is left is to run a power wire from the fuse block to the battery, and tie the brake switch to the power side of the starter switch.

Car life is so rad when you have help from Josh and his amazing team at YoshiFab.

-'til next time


put put put put

Mornin' All,

I have something quite fantastic to share.

(Appler's don't worry I have not forgotten about you, the links are just a couple lines below)


IT RUNS!!! and pretty well too!

(ps. the MAF was bad and has since been replaced; now the engine runs nice and smooth.)

Tomorrow I'll be heading into the shop to drive the car around and get a feel for her on the streets. Don't worry I'll make sure to take a few more photos and video.

Seriously, excitebike times 12!! She is almost ready to be in my hands again, and SOOO CLOSE to having the final touches put on her to become my daily driver

::smiles from ear to ear::

-'til next time



This may have been a mojor contributor to why the engine sounded like a tactor...

#babahabahaha #crackedblockisholy

Cracked Block is Holy

and just for good measure... why not...

#whoreallywantsthistobeonepiece #meh #itstillran

Even with those, it still ran. muahahhahahahaha.

'till next time