9.28.2013

World First Volvo powered 240z*

*Google massive keyword attack and search, but if you can prove me wrong PLEASE let me know.

Well kidos, it has been two years since I threw sheets to the wind and decided that it would be a good idea to try to put a motor in a car that hadn't been done before. Sure there was quite a bit of frustration, hiccups, vodka, racked knuckles, & dust collecting, but there has not been a single project that I have ever been involved in that put this large of a smile of my face. HONESTY STRIKEOUT, I teared up on the drive back home from the shake down drive yesterday.

So without further ado here is the first drive of my 1972 Datsun 240z powered by a volvo b230 8v block with a 16v head, bolted to a Ford T5 transmission, snailed by a 19t turbo.



http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyoctopus/9975759444/

[The hesitation that you hear from the engine was due to both the ECU learning as well as running too little fuel and having the engine stave. It smoothed out shortly after 5 gallons of fuel was put in]



http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyoctopus/9975799414/



http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyoctopus/9975902943/

::side note... doughnuts are now known as doritos::



http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyoctopus/9975943094/

Next post will be of, hopefully, some in car videos of the drive home.

Please take note of the hilariously long shifter lever in the "first pass" video. The T-5 transmission sits much farther forward than the stock F4W 4-speed, so until I design and build a shifter relocation mechanism I will be sticking to a tube, welded to a plate, bolted to the tranny. I will say that I totally dig the boro dildo shift knob. I mean really, it is far too smile inducing for me to replace it soon.

--

This morning I drove back to Yoshifab to make sure that the chassis wiring that I did two years ago still works. This way when I drive it home I will have working brake lights. The first step was to figure out which switches I actually need. Fantastically the team at yoshifab cut down the amount of switches that I need by nearly half: eFan is now controlled via a temp switch (volvo stock part), fuel pumps & IGN are kicked on with the kill key (instead of two switches).

When all was said and done I was left with only 3 switches: running/dash lights, high/low beam, & reverse lights. There was a hiccup with the brake lights, but after some troubleshooting I found out that the brake switch itself was sticking so I stole some lube and now it works fantastically. I had to leave before I tied up all the loose ends - Dad's B-day - but all that is left is to run a power wire from the fuse block to the battery, and tie the brake switch to the power side of the starter switch.

Car life is so rad when you have help from Josh and his amazing team at YoshiFab.

-'til next time

2 comments: